Kurnikova Mariya Vladimirovna, Candidate of medical sciences, associate professor, head of the sub-department of adaptive physical education, Institute of rehabilitation and human health, Lobachevsky State University of Nizhny Novgorod (23 Gagarina avenue, Nizhny Novgorod, Russia), E-mail: email@example.com
Background. The social space of a family with a disabled child needs a separate analysis. According to the theory of P. Bourdieu, social space is a combination of capitals that families most often possess or do not possess, as well as subjective representations, behavior, and patterns of practical activity of individuals. The aim of the work is to identify resources for the correction of social space in a difficult life situation through the diagnosis of certain capital type distribution of the disabled child family members.
Materials and methods. The assessment of the social space structure and the adequacy of resources in various types of capital: material, social, cultural in mothers, fathers, and siblings in families with a disabled child, by the survey method (n = 352). The control group consists of family members with a healthy child (n = 374).
Results. The presence of a disabled child in the family does not change the qualitative structure of the social space and the repertoire of social fields, but significantly limits the intensity of their use for acquiring the appropriate capital types for family members. The material capital is characterized by a lack of surplus financial resources. The structure of social capital is dominated by professional contacts, the growth of social ties is reduced and shifted towards relatives. The cultural capital is in the field of previously acquired education and the dynamics of its accumulation are weak. Resources for correcting the social space of family members with a disabled child are the availability of motivation for mothers and siblings to receive an education; the willingness of parents to spend their free time with a disabled child; lack of network communication between parents and public organizations, charitable foundations, volunteer movements, government social support institutions.
Conclusions. The correction the family with a disabled child social space is possible through the formation of vigorous activity in the “parent-child” system by expanding the ties of family members with government health and fitness institutions, public and charitable organizations, volunteer and environmental movements that implement active recreational and educational programs.
1. Shchekina I. V. Novaya nauka: Opyt, traditsii, innovatsii [New science: experience, tradition, innovation]. 2015, no. 1, pp. 58–64. [In Russian]
2. Federal'naya sluzhba gosudarstvennoy statistiki [Federal State Statistics Service]. Available at: https://www.gks.ru/folder/13964 (accessed Oct. 03, 2019). [In Russian]
3. Alieva N. F., Koshelyuk N. A. Sotsial'no-pedagogicheskaya deyatel'nost' v sotsiume: teoriya, praktika, perspektivy: sb. nauch. tr. VI Mezhdunar. sotsial'no-pedagogicheskikh chteniy imeni B. I. Livshitsa: v 2 ch. [Social and pedagogical activity in society: theory, practice, prospects: proceedings of the VI International social and pedagogical readings named after B. I. Lifshitz]. Ekaterinburg: Ural'skiy gosudarstvennyy pedagogicheskiy un-t, 2014, part 2, pp. 7–12. [In Russian]
4. Yarskaya-Smirnova E. Sotsiokul'turnyy analiz netipichnosti [Sociocultural analysis of atypicality]. Saratov: Izd-vo SGTU, 1997, 272 p. [In Russian]
5. Boktaeva L. F. Opyt i innovatsii v pedagogike i psikhologii [Experience and innovation in pedagogy and psychology]. 2015, no. 3, pp. 10–15. [In Russian]
6. Burd'e P. Zhurnal sotsiologii i sotsial'noy antropologii [Journal of sociology and social anthropology]. 1998, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 44–59. [In Russian]
7. Burd'e P. Zapadnaya ekonomicheskaya sotsiologiya: Khrestomatiya sovremennoy klassiki [Western economic sociology: the Reader of modern classics]; transl. from English by R. A. Gromova, M. S. Dobryakova, from French O. I. Kirchik, from German A. F. Filippov. Moscow: ROSSPEN, 2004, 674 p. [In Russian]
8. Doktorovich A. B. Vestnik Moskovskogo universiteta. Ser. 18, Sotsiologiya i politologiya [Bulletin of Moscow University. Series 18, Sociology and politology]. 2009, no. 4, pp. 159–168. [In Russian]
9. Zherebin V. M. Narodonaselenie [Population]. 2015, no. 3 (69), pp. 105–116. [In Russian]
10. Abashina A. D. Sotsiologiya v sovremennom mire: nauka, obrazovanie, tvorchestvo [Sociology in the modern world: science, education, creativity]. 2014, no. 6, pp. 94–98. [In Russian]
11. Silva E. The british journal of sociology. London, 2005, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 83–103.
12. Blok M., Golovin N. A. Vestnik Sankt-Peterburgskogo universiteta. Ser. 12, Psikhologiya. Sotsiologiya. Pedagogika [Bulletin of Saint Petersburg University. Series 12, Psychology. Sociology. Pedagogy]. 2015, no. 4, pp. 99–111. [In Russian]
13. Davletshina D. M. Vestnik Kazanskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta kul'tury i iskusstv [Bulletin of Kazan State University of Culture and Arts]. 2019, no. 2, pp. 113–119. [In Russian]
14. Leshchenko A. M. Nauchnye problemy gumanitarnykh issledovaniy [Scientific issues of humanitarian research]. 2011, no. 8, pp. 240–245. [In Russian]